RSS Feeds :: Listservs :: mml mobile

powered by google

Resources Blue Arrows

Jump to...

















Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Marriage Ceremonies

Our mayor has been asked to perform several wedding ceremonies this summer. Who decides how much he should charge?

The law giving a mayor the authority to perform marriage ceremonies (MCL 551.7(3)) states the mayor shall charge and collect a fee. The amount is to be determined by the city council and paid to the city treasurer to be deposited in the general fund of the city at the end of the month.

The mayor in a neighboring city has performed a number of wedding ceremonies this summer. As president of our village, can I perform marriage ceremonies?

Michigan law specifically states that "a mayor may perform a marriage ceremony anywhere in a county in which that city is located" (MCL 551.7).  It does not give that authority to village presidents.


Top of Page



MML Home :: League Services :: Advocacy :: Training/Events :: Resources :: Insurance :: Legal :: Classifieds :: Links :: About MML :: Privacy :: Webmaster
Michigan Municipal League :: 1675 Green Road, Ann Arbor MI, 48105 :: 734.662.3246 l 800.653.2483

MML Home Page mml home Capital Conference partnership for place