How would you like to bring your State Representative or Senator to your community to help with a local project? This summer, League members will have that opportunity! Legislators Building Communities is a new initiative to educate our legislators about housing and community development activities in their districts through hands-on volunteer opportunities. It is led by the Living in Michigan coalition, a network of statewide and regional housing & community development advocates that is co-chaired by CEDAM and Habitat for Humanity of Michigan.
Here’s how it works:
- You submit an online interest form, letting us know your project idea (see rules and ideas here).
- If your project is selected, we will put you in contact with a staff person in your legislator’s office so you can set a date and discuss details.
- You plan and publicize your event (we can help).
- You host your event. Show off your work, involve the community, and take pictures!
- You share your story with us, your contacts, your local media, and anyone else you can think of.
The call for projects is now open, so talk to your local community development advocates and practitioners and submit ideas ASAP.
Luke Forrest is Project Coordinator with the Center for 21st Century Communities. Contact him at 734-669-6323 or firstname.lastname@example.org.