Level Four: Ambassador Award
To encourage and recognize the exemplary service of locally elected officials to their community, to the communities of the state of Michigan, and to the Michigan Municipal League.
The Ambassador award demonstrates the practical application of acquired education and skills and requires a portfolio of achievement reviewed by the Elected Officials Academy board.
An individual must have received the Education Award, the Leadership Award, and the Governance Award of the Elected Officials Academy. Credits previously used for meeting the requirements of Level One through Level Three may not be used for credit toward the Ambassador Award.
To receive the Ambassador Award, elected officials must have served on a governing body of village, city or urban township for more than one term, and have received the Level Three Governance Award and accumulated an additional 50 credits beyond that required for Level Three for an Academy total of 151 credits. These credits may be any combination of those allowed for the requirements of Level Three.
Each activity is worth 5 credits, unless otherwise noted. Achievement may consist of, but is not limited to, the following:
• Mentoring another elected official
• Bringing a new elected official to Convention or Conference
• Presenting to two or more municipalities that have no members currently active in the EOA
• Presenting to councils, boards, and/or commissions
• Participating in promotional videos for the League's website
• Participating in community building through public engagement activities
• Working in a key role of civic organizations dedicated to improving and enhancing the quality of life in the community and promoting inclusiveness
• Modeling a key advocacy role by testifying at legislative hearings and having personal contact with elected officials at the state and federal level
• Participating in a Radio/TV Interview (1 credit)
• Volunteering as a panelist or speaker at a League event (2 credits)
• Writing an article for The Review/website; blogging for website (2 credits)
• Serving on a committee outside the League, functioning as the chairperson only (1 credit/year)
The Ambassador Award
The recipient of the EOA Ambassador Award will receive a pin and plaque at the League Annual Convention.
Submit Your Application and Portfolio
Click here to download and print an application.
Click here to download a portfolio template.
Please submit your application and all portfolio attachments by July 1 to:
Elected Officials Academy
1675 Green Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Attn: Kelly Warren